web space | free hosting | Business Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting
BuiltWithNOF
Rinella and Cambridge Batteries

Rinella and Cambridge Batteries

In the late 1870s the British Company Armstrong & Co. had developed a 100-ton gun. These massive guns were to be first installed on the Italian Duilio class Armourclads. The British viewed this as a severe threat to the security of Malta. Nonetheless the guns installed in Malta and Gibraltar was delivered before the Italian ones. Cambridge and Rinella Battery were constructed on purpose to accommodate the 17.25-inch (calibre of the gun) 100-ton Guns. However Cambridge and Rinella were in effect veritable forts each a totally defensible unit protected by features common to proper forts such as ditches, counterscarps and barracks thus capable of having a permanent garrison. Nevertheless, the 100-ton guns were never put into action as they took about 4 minutes to load and it was a long time especially when compared to the Quick Firing Guns that were being installed a decade later.

 

[Home] [News] [Pre-1530] [Knights] [British] [Introduction] [Jervois Report] [North-West] [100-Ton Gun] [20th Century] [Buildings] [Conclusion] [Maps] [Glossary] [Guns] [Graffiti] [Medals] [Bibliography] [Forum] [Guestbook] [Links]